Ok first off, this mix is trippy as hell. Om Unit grabs fast paced rhythms by the balls, creating a smooth and murky existence. I’ve tested it out in various locations; in the bathtub, driving from Seattle to Portland, washing dishes at work..and I’ll say that it’s very enjoyable and a distinct journey through and through. I love when something showcases a wide range of emotions, and this mix does it so well. You’ll hear Om Unit’s rad rollers VIP mix of Machinedrum’s “Gunshotta”, and some absolutely wild tracks from Ital Tek’s Planet Mu album release, Control.
Some of you who caught my recent set opening for DJ Rashad & DJ Spinn may remember this track from Om Unit’s debut album on Civil Music, Threads. The first time I heard this, I froze. It goes to chilling depths. I felt like I jumped outside of my body and watched my life unfold in slow motion. Awe-inspiring production really.
Other thoughts on Threads
– Similar to the way his RA began, “Folding Shadows” opens the album with instant immersion. It walks slow and steady, with eerie emotion and a funky strut.
– The dense rain atmosphere in “Healing Rain” is intriguing and soothing, naturally.
– “Drift Interlude” – Same reaction I got hearing “The Road” .. encapsulates my life right now and observations of some relationships.
– “Reverse Logic” – Reading the name, it’s easy for me to imagine this track as an entity constantly moving backwards. It’s a great visual to a sophisticated beat.
– Seeing photos of underwater pyramids and structures found in places like Bermuda and Japan after hearing “Deep Sea Pyramid”, perfect. It’s got a dark curiosity to it, and a restless sense of adventure.
Hopefully that mix and these tracks have you needing more. Om Unit aka Jim Coles has been producing a diverse discography for over ten years; crafting works under the names 2Tall, Nyquist, Philip D Dick and Dream Continuum with Machinedrum. To take in more from Jim, see RBMA’s July 2013 interview and/or his more recent XLR8R interview alongside DJ Rashad.
– Jimi Jaxon